THE BEST PART IS CHOPPING OF THESE COLORFUL NUTS AND PEELS!
ITS CHRISTMAS TIME! SO HERE I SHARE MY BEST RECIPE OF EASIEST PLUM CAKE OR RUM CAKE OR FRUIT CAKE...NAME IT WHAT YOU LOVE TO CALL IT....
PLUM CAKE OR RUM CAKE!
- 210 grams brown sugar(light and dark mixed)
- 230 ml water
- 55 grams butter
- 3 pinches teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 pinches teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt(omit from recipe if using yellow butter)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 195 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or rum essence
- 1 cup (150 grams) candied and chopped mixed peel
- 3 tablespoons brandy plus extra for brushing the cake
- Juice and zest (outer orange skin) of one orange
- Zest (outer yellow skin) of one lemon
- 30 gms ground almonds
- 100 grams hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, chopped
- 300 grams of an assortment of dried fruits (dried apricots, figs, prunes, dates.), candied and chopped mixed peel(giger candy,orange peel,lemon peel), and glace cherries (chopped into bite size pieces)
- 100 grams of an assortment of raisins, sultanas, currants, dried cranberries and/or cherries
Butter a loaf pan.Line it with baking sheet or butter paper. Preheat your oven at 170 degrees C.(Note: if using a dark colored pan reduce the oven temperature 160 degrees C.)
This cake requires slow heating so it is baked at 155 degree C.
In a large saucepan, over medium heat bring sugar, water, butter, spices, raisins,candied fruit,nuts, and brandy to boil. Boil for three minutes, then remove from heat, and let cool till lukewarm. Mix nicely.
In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the eggs until light and fluffy.
Now stir the lightly beaten eggs, flour, baking soda,baking powder, vanilla extract and candied boiled fruits together. Beat together for few seconds on low speed.
Cake batter will look very thin but that's absolutely OK.
Pour into your prepared pan and bake for 50 - 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and store, if possible, for a few days before serving.
For better taste brush the cake with brandy for few days before serving. rum can also be used.
- THIS CAKE TAKES MORE TIME FOR BAKING
- IF THE CANDIES, FRUITS ARE SOAKED IN RUM AND BRANDY FOR FEW DAYS THEY TASTE BETTER
- INSTEAD OF DRY ORANGE,LEMON AND GINGER- FRESH PEELS CAN BE USED(TASTE WILL VARY)
- LINING OF TIN IS IMPORTANT,AS ITS A HEAVY CAKE.IT HAS A TENDENCY TO BURN.
MERRY CHRISTMAS! AND HAPPY BAKING!